Reading Time 20 mins
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is LFPSE?
- Getting Started - Key Details
- Step 1: Register for an LFPSE Account
- Step 2: Designing the LFPSE-Related Events
- Step 3: Setting up Your Locations
- Step 4: ODS code(s)
- Step 5: API Key
- Managing LFPSE and Viewing Submissions
- Do we have to have all 4 LFPSE event types?
- Where do I give feedback specifically about the LFPSE process?
- I would like to split the LFSPE form and/or add it to the event workflow.
- What is the difference between LFPSE and PSIMS?
- What happens when the LFPSE questions are updated?
- What happens if an LFPSE event is reported but later abandoned?
What is LFPSE?
The new LFPSE service is a major upgrade, creating a single national NHS system for recording patient safety events. It introduces improved capabilities for the analysis of patient safety events occurring across healthcare, and enables better use of the latest technology, such as machine learning, to create outputs that offer a greater depth of insight and learning that are more relevant to the current NHS environment.
Read more at the official website: https://www.england.nhs.uk/patient-safety/learn-from-patient-safety-events-service/
Within Radar Healthcare you can automate the submission of the critical questions required by LFPSE.
If you wish to view the LFPSE form it is available online at https://record.learn-from-patient-safety-events.nhs.uk/, by requesting the information from NHSI.email@example.com, or by requesting a demonstration of the LFPSE form from Radar Healthcare in your Staging site.
Getting Started - Key Details
- There are 4 types of LFPSE events. These are Incident, Good Care, Risk and Outcome. These can be amended versions of existing events or newly created events. (For example, if you are already reporting your incidents in Radar Healthcare the LFPSE form can be added to this event).
- An LFPSE form is a single form of questions relating to the respective event which must be added at the start of your chosen events.
- The form itself can only be edited by Radar Healthcare. It is possible to add a small selection of additional questions, however, LFPSE questions cannot be removed or renamed.
- The LFPSE form can not form part of an event workflow. It must be the first form completed when reporting an event.
- The LFPSE form can only be completed and submitted by the event reporter, not a third party. Although amends can be made at a later date if required, all versions of the form will be submitted to the LFPSE team.
Step 1: Register for an LFPSE Account
- Please register for at least 1 admin user account at https://record.learn-from-patient-safety-events.nhs.uk/.
Step 2: Designing the LFPSE-Related Events
- We recommend designing your LFPSE events on your Staging site.
- The LFPSE form can be added to an existing event or can be created as new events in their own right.
- The LFPSE form must be the first form completed when an event is reported (we refer to this as the first Required Form).
- We understand that there may be events reported that do not relate to patients. In this instance, it is permitted to add in a logic step so the LFPSE questions only appear if the event is related to a patient. For example; the form may start with the question "Does this incident involve a patient(s)?".
- It is possible for Radar Healthcare to add a small selection of additional questions to the LFPSE form, however, existing questions can not be removed or renamed. For this reason, it is not possible to edit the LFPSE form in the Form Editor functionality of Radar Healthcare. Please request your changes from the Radar Healthcare Support Team.
- The LFPSE form may have its taxonomy updated in the future. Radar Healthcare will update the form and the question will be updated accordingly for future submissions.
- Please note: the LFPSE form will only appear for locations which are marked as LFPSE reportable. If you are using a mix of LFPSE and non-LFPSE reportable locations please ensure there are at least 2 required forms (typically the LFPSE form and your own organisational form capturing the key questions you need). In such situations, you will not be able to use this event external to Radar Healthcare.
- Choose whether the LFPSE submission description should be generated from the Description/Title of the event on the Event Details page. This is on the first page when you report an event in Radar Healthcare.
- Or whether the LFPSE submission description should be generated from the Describe the event question on the LFPSE form itself.
- Once decided please inform your Radar Healthcare contact or the Support Team.
- If you choose to use the Description of Event we can hide the Describe the event question on the LFPSE form. This is the only question which may be hidden
Step 3: Setting up Your Locations
- Please review your locations to select those which are LFPSE reportable.
- To start, navigate to Administration and your list of Locations. Selecting Actions and Edit against the location you will be presented with an option named Is a PSIMS reportable location selecting the box will activate LFPSE for that particular location.
- There is also an option called ODS Code. If you have multiple ODS codes for your organisation please enter the corresponding ODS code for this particular location. This is not necessary if you have one ODS code. Please see further details below.
- The LFPSE form will only appear for locations which are marked as LFPSE reportable.
Step 4: ODS code(s)
- In order to implement LFPSE, you will require your ODS code(s). These can be found via this website: https://odsportal.digital.nhs.uk/Organisation/Search
- Single ODS Code. If you have 1 ODS code please send this across to your main Radar Healthcare contact or the Support Team.
- Multiple ODS Codes. If you have numerous ODS codes for your organisation these will need to be added to the specific locations in Radar Healthcare. You can do this when creating or editing your locations. Please see above for more details on setting up your locations.
- Once everything is tested, set up and ready to go live please contact the LFPSE team to agree on a transition date and retrieve the API security key – the API security key will only be issued when an organisation is ready to go live (this only takes a few minutes to do, so is not required until nearer to the Go Live date)
- There are two options for the API key - we would like the Unlimited option.
- Please pass your API key to your main Radar Healthcare contact or the Support Team. If you receive multiple API Keys we require the Primary API Key.
Managing LFPSE and Viewing Submissions
- Navigate to the Administration Panel in Radar Healthcare and select Access Control.
- The permission to view LFPSE submissions is under PSIMS api permissions and Manage PSIMS.
- Once everything is in place it will run in the background and once an LFPSE form has been completed in Radar Healthcare it will be submitted automatically to the NHS.
- Any changes made after the initial submission will also be pulled through via the API and the submission will be updated.
- The submissions can be viewed in Radar Healthcare via the PSIMS icon in the administration area.
- The API will refresh very regularly, therefore it is likely this will always appear blank when selected. Select Show submitted to view the information already submitted.
Please note the LFPSE team have a dedicated FAQ at: https://www.england.nhs.uk/patient-safety/learn-from-patient-safety-events-service/lfpse-faqs-august-2022/
Do we have to have all 4 LFPSE event types?
- As of September 2022, the LFPSE Team would like you to have Incident and Good Care. Risk and Outcome are optional.
Where do I give feedback specifically about the LFPSE process?
- Please see the LFPSE website for further details and FAQs. https://www.england.nhs.uk/patient-safety/learn-from-patient-safety-events-service/. We do request that all feedback be directed to the LFPSE team.
I would like to split the LFSPE form and/or add it to the event workflow.
- This is not possible. The LFPSE form must be the first form completed when reporting an event in Radar Healthcare.
What is the difference between LFPSE and PSIMS?
- PSIMs was the original name for the LFPSE project whilst in development. We will be updating Radar Healthcare to change any PSIMS references to LFPSE.
What happens when the LFPSE questions are updated?
- Radar Healthcare will update the LFPSE form. This will not affect the previous submissions and any new submission will have the new question set as updated.
What happens if an LFPSE event is reported but later abandoned?
- It would still be submitted, currently, it is not possible to delete LFPSE submissions already reported.